DNUSD Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) Program
You can use this page to learn more about the Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) program at DNUSD schools.
Del Norte County Unified School District’s Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) program's goal is to meet the special needs of students whose performance and/or capacity for performance significantly exceeds age or grade-level expectations.
Site programming addresses the needs of GATE students primarily within the classroom. It is the responsibility of the individual teachers to differentiate instruction and materials to provide the appropriate level of challenge for all students.
Differentiation of curriculum and instruction for GATE students should provide:
- Appropriate pacing and challenge of curriculum to ensure continuous academic growth
- Enrichment beyond the core curriculum
- Exploration of a particular area of interest
- Opportunity for creativity
- Development of skills in critical thinking, problem solving, divergent thinking, and independent learning.
Opportunities for involvement include developing your child's GATE Individual Education Plan (GATE IEP) with the facilitator and teacher and volunteering in your school site's GATE program.