How to Register (K-8)

Enrollment decisions should be made in the best educational interest of your child. In addition to your neighborhood school, the Del Norte Unified School District offers a variety of programs that appeal to students’ interests and talents. If you are moving to the Del Norte and have a child who will soon enter kindergarten or have children already in school, below is important information about registering your child. You may register your child for the current school year at any time, as soon as you establish residency within the district boundaries.

Step 1: Determine your child’s educational needs and objectives.
Step 2: Become familiar with your neighborhood boundary area. Talk to your local school or get more information at the District Office.
Step 3: Pick up and complete a registration packet, review your registration checklist and submit registration materials to your home school.

Registration packets are available at all DNUSD schools. Your home school can provide you with a registration packet, or you can go down to the District Office.

  • Birth Certificate

  • Immunization record

  • Proof of residence within the district*

  • All students entering 7th grade will need to provide proof that they have received an adolescent pertussis (whooping cough) booster shot (Tdap) prior to starting school.

* Residence Documents Required for Initial Enrollment for all K-12 Students:

Must produce ONE of the following for enrollment:

  • Property tax receipts for the current residence

  • Mortgage statements in parent/guardian name. If the home is under construction a title/deed or signed sales or purchase agreement in parent/guardian’s name will be accepted. Additionally, a current Pacific Power bill that indicates location of service, or a mortgage payment must be presented to the school within six months

  • Rental/Lease agreement – current or recently signed in parent/guardian name. Additionally, two consecutive months of a current Pacific Power bill in the parent/guardian name must be presented to the school within two months


Must also produce ONE of the following for enrollment:

  • Parent/guardian’s motor vehicle registration with current residence

  • Parent/guardian’s driver’s license with current residence

  • Court documents indicating current residence

  • Payment verification (paid invoice, credit card receipt, cashed check) for 2 consecutive months of 2 of the following utilities: gas, electricity, water, or garbage for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment

  • Rent payment receipts for 2 consecutive months for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment

  • Documentation from the Department of Human Assistance with current residence

Under state law, the District annually reviews the enrollment options available to pupils within the district. The District strives to maintain available enrollment options that meet the diverse needs, potential and interests of California pupils. Homeless students shall be immediately enrolled and, to the extent feasible, placed in their school of origin unless otherwise requested by their parent/guardian. In the case of an unaccompanied youth, the district liaison to the homeless shall assist in placement or enrollment decisions, If, after enrollment, it is determined that a student is not homeless as defined in the law, the district will follow policies in place to address fraud.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.