Del Norte Unified School District
"Equipping Students for Success"
Click here to view the fact-finder's final report
Click here to see the recommendations calculated into teacher wages
PERB Releases Unanimous Fact-Finding Report
The fact-finding took place on December 5, 2019. Representing the Del Norte Teachers Association on the fact-finding panel was Daryl Hemenway, with the California Teachers Association. Matt Phillips, with School Services of California, represented the Del Norte County Unified Board of Trustees, and Renée Mayne, arbitrator and mediator, was assigned by the Public Employees Relations Board to serve as the neutral Chair of the panel.
Today, the fact-finding report was issued to the Del Norte County Unified School District and Del Norte Teachers Association. California Government Code requires that the District “make such findings and recommendations public within 10 days after their receipt.” To that end, the District has included the report, in its entirety, on the District webpage, along with a set of FAQs.
The following are the recommendations from the Public Employees Relations Board fact-finding Chair. The Chair recommended two options:
- A 2% increase in teacher salaries ongoing on the salary schedule effective July 1, 2019
- A 2% increase to teacher flat dollar stipends effective July 1, 2019
Option 1 provides for a 2% increase in salary which is ongoing, but there is no guarantee of additional salary increases in future years. The cost to the district is estimated at $360,000 each year.
- A three year agreement which provides for 2% increase in ongoing salary each year from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022 (3 years)
- An additional .5% salary increase if LCFF revenue increases 3.5% or more from the prior year in years 20-21 and 21-22
- An additional .5% salary increase if LCFF revenue increases by 4% or more from the prior year in years 20-21 and 21-22. (up to a total of 1% additional per year)
- An increase of $500 per year towards health and welfare for the years 20-21 and 21-22.
- A 2% increase in flat dollar stipend each year of the 3 years 19-20 through 21-22.
- The District and DNTA will establish a labor management committee to explore health insurance options.
Option 2 provides for a guaranteed total ongoing increase of 7.14% at the end of three years with a three year cost of 13.72%, which equates to an estimated $2,469,000. If LCFF funding increases beyond the above thresholds, the possibility of an additional 2% salary increase provides the possibility of additional raises for certificated staff.
Each panel member can “dissent,” “dissent and concur,” or “concur” with the fact-finding report. “Dissent” means that the panel member disagrees with the report and findings. “Concur and dissent” means that the panel member agrees with portions of the report and findings and disagrees with other portions. “Concur” means that the panel member agrees with the report and findings. The California Teachers Association panel member and the District’s panel member both concur with the Public Employees Relations Board Chair’s report and findings.
The Del Norte County Unified School District Board of Trustees agrees with the factfinder’s report and fully supports the multi-year option, as it provides guaranteed salary and health and welfare increases to teachers and other certificated staff members and allows the Board time to review current budget allocations. This option also allows District staff the opportunity to develop a list of suggested budget changes and/or reductions that will be necessary to maintain a balanced budget for the future.