Today, a message was posted on the DNUSD webpage and Facebook page regarding the Del Norte Virtual Learning Program flyer. On behalf of the District, I would like to personally apologize for any misunderstanding regarding this post.
I would like to clarify the following:
1. The District is not planning on only offering online learning for the 2020-2021 school year. At this point, we are expecting to be able to return with at least 50% of our students in attendance on campus at any given time. In a previous survey, 65% of our families indicated that they would prefer that school be offered fully in person, as we have always done, while an additional 25% indicated that they would prefer a blended learning model. Our intent is to try to offer programs that meet the needs of each child, in person to the fullest extent possible.
2. That same survey indicated that approximately 10% of our families expressed an interest in participating only in online or distance learning. In order to move forward with determining whether this option is viable, it is necessary that we get an accurate count of students, by grade level and school of residence, as quickly as possible. This “application” was designed as a way to get this information for planning purposes only.
3. I have been meeting with the leadership of the Del Norte Teachers’ Association and the local California School Employees Association on a steering committee to discuss issues and options in reopening for 2020-2021. We have discussed the desire and survey results for an online program, but no discussion has been held regarding this “application” or a final configuration of an online program.
4. We are in the process of completing a survey for all district staff and families to gather additional information regarding the three reopening options that the steering committee, site principals, and other consulting groups have discussed: an in-person AM/PM model with 50% of students in attendance at either session, a two day per week in-person model with 50% of students in attendance 2 days each week with distance learning occurring during days when they are not receiving in-person instruction, and the distance learning-only model.
5. Given the confusion caused by the post and the need to more accurately reflect the intent of the form, we will be revising the current document and reposting it so that it better meets its intended purpose. To avoid continuing confusion, we will “expire” the post, so that only the corrected version is available. The updated document will be available in Spanish, as well.
I would, again, like to apologize for any confusion that these posts may have caused. In an attempt to gather information quickly, we did not communicate clearly or adequately. We have just over 40 days in which to rethink 100 years of educational structure and respond to the most significant health crisis in recent history, prior to the start of the school year. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we move through this process.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office at 464-0200.
Redwood 8th Grade Graduation 2020!This Wednesday at 6 pm is Redwood's 8th Grade Graduation Ceremony! For those who are interested, you will be able to watch the Livestream.Graduation be live-streamed on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/redwoodraidersFor those of you who do not have Facebook, this event will also be live-streamed on Youtube atWe hope to see you there!
Reminder: There will be no meal service on Friday, 5/22/20 or Monday, 5/25/20.
These were previously scheduled no-school days and as such all classified food service staff and transportation staff will be enjoying a well earned four day weekend.
Meal service will resume on Tuesday, 5/26/2020. Please contact Nutrition Services at 464-0246.
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Theresa Slayton
It is with great pleasure that I take this opportunity to welcome you to Redwood School- Home of the Redwood Raiders! Redwood is a unique community school that serves over 520 students from Kindergarten through 8th grade. We pride ourselves on academic excellence and relationship building here at Redwood School. We encourage parents to attend our many music, dance and sporting events that help make Redwood great!
I look forward to my sixth year as Redwood School Principal and 29th year as an educator in Del Norte County. I began my teaching career here at Redwood School as a first grade teacher and feel honored to be back here working with an energetic and talented staff. I am excited to build new relationships with students, parents and the community. My door is always open and I welcome the opportunity to get to know you better.
Redwood Elementary School
School Starts - 8:20AM
Kindergarten Dismissal - 1:15 PM
1st to 3rd grade Dismissal - 2:15 PM
4th to 8th grade Dismissal - 3:05 PM
Wednesday Early Out/ Minimum Day -
Kindergarten to 8th grade Dismissal - 1:10 PM
School Office Hours -
Due to the Current School Closures Office Hours are now 9am to 1 pm
Monday to Friday 7:30 AM - 4 PM
Closed on all School Holidays
Office Phone (707) 464-0360
Office Fax (707) 487-9051